I combine methodologies and approaches to gain insight into human behaviour. The methodologies I specialise in are cognitive psychology, behavioural science & insights, market research (Qual & Quant) and eye tracking.
I have experience in the market research industry (agency side) - however for the last four years I have been focusing on behavioural science and behavioural insight (Nudge etc) and applying this predominantly in the retail sector. Using these methodologies I look to explore and uncover both the conscious and subconscious influences on behaviours in multipe contexts (in store, outdoor advertising, at home) and sectors (retail, FMCG, government communications, sport,).
This approach means as well as providing explorative research as long as the client is willing (!) I can also generate hypotheses based on behavioural insights which I can implement with a client to test the effectiveness on pack design, messaging, branding new product develop as well as other applications.
I have largely combined this with eye tracking data - which I analyse and code using frameworks from cognitive psychology. This provides deeper insight than purely using eye tracking in a qualitative way.
Using these methods and research design I look to avoid some of the problems with post-rationalisation which can occur with certain qualitative approaches.
I'd be really happy talking about my approach or showing you some of the findings if interested.
Look forward to meeting / speaking soon!
A client facing insight and research manager providing research, data analysis and creative solutions to challenges across the retail, public health and charity sectors. Experience of overseeing the start-up and growth of a social enterprise and international behavioral change programs. Key strengths include:
- Expertise in cognitive and behavioural psychology (British Psychology Society), with a focus on shopper decision making, eyetracking, the use of heuristics and promotional framing techniques.
- Strong data analysis (SPSS, excel) and strong market research methodologies including eye-tracking as well as quantitative and qualitative methodologies.
- Behavioral change expertise with an emphasis on retail, sport and sexual health programs.
- Project management in the public and private sector, managing multiple projects internationally with budgets up to 300k. A PRINCE2 practitioner.
Eyetracker.co.uk Freelance research Manager
Dec 2011 – present
- Developing and applying psychological influencing techniques blending eyetracker research; focusing on framing, priming and heuristics effects on consumer choice.
- Pitched, won and delivered research projects with clients including government agencies, FMCG brands and retailers.
Mountainview Learning, London Research Manager
Nov 2010 – Aug 2011
- Managed in store research projects for premium retailers and FMCG companies applying psychological and behavioral influencing techniques to marketing & promotions.
- Delivered sales uplift between 10% - 60% for one major UK retailer using heuristics at POS.
- Increased donation contributions by 17% for a national charity for their spring campaign.
FreshMinds Research, London Research Manager
2009 – June 2010
- Delivered market research projects for clients across the public sector including NHS trusts, charities and education providers.
- Delivered quantitative and qualitative projects in the region of 15 – 45k. This included survey and questionnaire design, in depth interviews, qualitative and quantitative analysis.
University College London Msc, Cog. and Decision Science (Distinction) 2011 - 2013
University of Edinburgh MA (Hons,) Psychology (2:1) 1996 – 2000
Dr Challoners Grammar School A-Levels: (A, A, B) 1993 - 1995
British Council, London Project Manager
- Managed the rollout of ‘Premier Skills’, a partnership between the Premier League and the British Council focusing on community development and sports in Uganda.
- Managed logistics of expansion of a school linking program across 18 new African countries including establishing and developing partnership development funding systems.
Business in the Community, London Project Manager
- Managed ‘Clubs that Count’, a Dept of Health funded project working with 60 professional sports clubs across football, rugby and cricket including six Premier League clubs.
- Researched and evaluated community projects using online and qualitative interviews.
ICON, International Planned Parenthood Federation, London Marketing Manager
- Launched condom social marketing projects in Eritrea and Lesotho (budget £300k).
- Completed and presented market research, facilitated the design of packaging, and formulated the pricing structure of economically sustainable condom brands.
- Brokered partnerships with government health departments, international HIV / AIDS organizations, marketing and distribution companies, including Coca-Cola.
Condoms With A Conscience, London Co-founder
- Co-founded and registered a social enterprise to launch an international condom social marketing initiative using football as a vehicle to promote condom use.
- Researched, wrote and presented business plans to venture capitalists, the Dept of Health, sexual health charities, international HIV / AIDS charities and football bodies.
Ideas to Go, Morristown, New Jersey Part - time Creative consultant
- Worked for an creative idea generating company developing product development, advertising copy and re-branding concepts for blue chip clients.
What sectors do you most often work in?
- Consumer durables
- Government, social research, education
- Charities & Not-for-profit
- Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare
What are the main types of research/research specialisms you conduct most often?
- Data Processing & Reporting
- Specialist techniques
- Secondary Research (data mining, desk research, web analysis)
What regions within the UK do you cover?
- London/South East England
- English Midlands
Which international regions do you cover?
- North America
Where are your offices in the UK?
- London/South East England