I work with:
- Marketing/ strategy consultancies and agencies who need a research or insight specialist on a pitch, project, or ongoing part-time basis.
- Research agencies and consultants looking for extra resource or expertise in my specialist areas.
- Client organisations requiring help with - for example - identifying their research and insight needs, auditing existing primary and secondary research, or scoping and tendering a new project.
- Design qualitative, quantitative and mixed method research
- Write proposals and pitch documents (and take part in pitches)
- Moderate focus groups, conduct depth interviews, and run workshops
- Design questionnaires and discussion guides
- Conduct analysis and interpretation of qualitative and quantitative data
- Produce insightful communications of research findings, focused on understanding the client business and providing actionable, relevant recommendations
- Work in partnership with clients to support the implementation of recommendations
- Write clear and concise research briefs and run tender processes
- Conduct desk research including reviews of the primary and secondary research available to an organisation
The sectors I focus on are:
- B2B: especially in relation to the provision of professional and work-related training, learning and development
- Professional membership organisations and trade bodies
- Tourism, travel and leisure: with a particular interest in heritage attractions and museums, and membership bodies
- Education: with a focus on higher education, distance learning, business schools and executive education
My early career was spent in advertising agencies and client-side marketing roles, gaining a solid understanding of brands and communications, and the use of research and insight in marketing planning. I then moved agency-side to BDRC Continental, where I worked my way up to the position of Research Director in the travel, tourism and leisure team and directed client accounts which included English Heritage, MLA (Museums, Libraries and Archives) ZSL (Zoological Society of London), and Docklands Light Railway. After BDRC I returned client-side and spent nine years in higher and executive education, working for Ashridge Business School and the Open University before becoming freelance in January 2017.
What sectors do you most often work in?
- Business to business
- Entertainment, leisure & travel
- Government, social research, education
- Charities & Not-for-profit
What are the main types of research/research specialisms you conduct most often?
- Secondary Research (data mining, desk research, web analysis)