Whilst FMCG research has formed the biggest part of my experience, I have also done a wide range of projects on other sectors: automotive, customer experience, BtoB, retail… What sector do funerals and coffins come under?
Phil Crofts Research and Insight
Having achieved a first class degree in French & Romance Linguistics, I decided that market research was the career for me and was delighted to find that my languages and international outlook were useful. I was lucky enough to get a job on the BMRB graduate scheme. BMRB was great as a grounding in market research, and I was able to get involved in a range of research types: qual and quant, social, media, FMCG and BtoB; with quite a high proportion of international projects.
Having decided it was time to stretch my wings, I then experimented with two roles on the manufacturing side, but I discovered that being the expert on catfood, or being the expert on upset stomachs and heartburn soon lost its appeal. I then moved in to Account Planning but discovered that I am too much of a common sense, feet on the ground person for ad agencies. However, I appreciated the broader outlook that I had achieved by working in these different contexts, and realised that this would stand me in good stead when I returned to the research agency world.
So for the next 20 years I worked in a wide range of research and insight agencies: TNS (on three occasions), plus Research International, but also small and medium sized agencies: CRAM, YouthSight/Opinionpanel, dunnhumby and BrainJuicer to name a few. I came to realise that I have several real strengths:
- an ability to bring together analytical and intuitive abilities to discover the story that lies hidden within data;
- experience that is both wide and deep to provide context of research issues and marketing issues;
- great understanding of research methodologies, traditional and contemporary;
- an ability to involve myself in projects and quickly absorb what has been done so far and then drive forward.
This persuaded me to commit myself to freelance and short term contract work.
- Business to business
- Consumer durables
- Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare
Skills & Services
- Data Processing & Reporting
- Specialist techniques
- Workshop facilitation