I have 30 years' experience in the market and social research industry. I have been a successful independent researcher, for over 20 years (since 2001), specialising in providing both quantitative and qualitative research to charities and other non-profit organisations.
I've been a specialist freelance researcher to non-profit organisations for over 20 years, operating as Ashworth Research. I'm passionate about using research to help charities further their cause and achieve greater social impact. I work with 'household name' charities and smaller organisations. Research projects are typically around:
* fundraising and stakeholder engagement (with donors, campaigners, volunteers and potential supporters)
* strategy, campaigning or impact evaluations (with service users, target beneficiaries or other stakeholders).
- Research strategy planning - identifying key insight gaps; desk research; research project design
- Quantitative surveys - online, postal, face-to-face: questionnaire design, fieldwork, analysis, reports, presentations
- Qualitative research - telephone depth interviews, focus groups (f-t-f or online), thematic analysis and reporting
- Desk research - collating what's known on a topic before embarking on more research
- Statistical techniques e.g. market segmentation through cluster analysis; service user satisfaction through key driver analysis.
I sometimes work with other freelancers to best meet the needs of the assignment.
Example projects include: tracking charity brand awareness, testing propositions for new fundraising products or campaigns, measuring supporter engagement/satisfaction, informing redesign of legacy brochure, understanding major donors' motivations, measuring visitor satisfaction with a tourist attraction, assessing charity's impact of membership or service offering.
I have over 30 years' experience in the market and social research industry, specialising in quantitative and qualitative research for the not-for-profit and public sectors.
I started my career at leading research agency, BMRB (now Kantar Public), as a graduate trainee in 1992. I spent 9 years at the company, rising to Senior Associate Director managing a team of researchers conducting projects ranging from the largest Government social surveys to small budget charity assignments and I enjoyed the very different challenges of both. In 2001, I founded Ashworth Research and since then have been specialising in research for non-profit organisations.
I hold a first class Honours degree and the Market Research Society Diploma and am a full certified member of the MRS. I've presented papers at the NCVO annual conference and co-authored published reports for various charities.
From 2013 - 2021 I served as a trustee of Thames Hospice, sitting on their Income Generation and Marketing committee, and helping oversee the charity through a period of rapid expansion including building a new state-of-the-art hospice.
In my free time I enjoy hiking, gardening, cycling, skiing and travelling.
Always happy to chat and discuss your research ideas and how I can help!