Following an e-group conversation we have collated the experiences and recommendations for digital & online recorders…
- The app TapeACall which essentially dials a second call in the background to take the recording but you have to merge the calls
- The app Localphone (you need to set up an account, calls are cheaper than chips) and dial from the keypad within the app (requires WiFi or good 3G/4G connection as it bypasses the mobile network). There is a setting within the app to make a recording. Said conversation is stored in your phone for transfer to other devices, so no GDPR risks, as long as phone is password etc protected. Even better, Localphone recording can be set to keep each side of the convo in a separate channel, which can be useful when transcribing, e.g. if either party talks over the other at any point during there interview – not that that ever happens, of course, (said he, interrupting himself)!
- use a gadget like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recorder-Earphone-Headphones-Conversation-Recording/dp/B072LJF9T6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526994388&sr=8-1&keywords=call+recording+headphone
- rev.com <https://rev.com/> – USD $1 per audio minute regardless of accents or complexity of topic… within 24 hours. Upload file, it calculates cost immediately. Billed to your credit card, done. For extra $ they can do time stamps
- an Olympus mp3 audio recorder placed near my phone which is on loudspeaker/ hands-free mode and standing-up
Online recording tools
- this is a good summary of what is available – https://blog.prototypr.io/remote-usability-testing-tools-3fdc0c18053e
- And this is a good source for MAC users – https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/record-screen-mac-3527168/?amp
Microsoft is finally bringing Skype into the 21st Century (and in line with Zoom) by adding call recording. You need to upgrade to Version 8 to get this and other new features – https://blogs.skype.com/news/2018/07/16/upgrade-to-the-latest-version-of-skype-for-desktop/ and to download Version 8 https://www.skype.com/en/upgrade-skype/. Here is how to record your Skpe calls (you click on the + symbol during the call) – > > https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12395/how-do-i-record-my-skype-calls
You can record audio and video calls – all screens that are shared will be incorporated in the recording. Everyone on the call will see a notification that the call is being recorded, so it won’t come as a surprise! Recorded calls are available for 30 days, and you can download them during this time period to keep them permanently.
If you have any other suggestions to add to the list, do drop me a line with the details…