Working with Children

02 Aug 2016 | Research & Business Knowledge

The CRB is no more and has been replaced with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).  The aim is to prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children and replaces both the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).  

There are two routes to receive a certificate 

  • The detailed route for people who regularly conduct work with children.  This is a very involved process, you have to prove you work with children a lot, a client has to sponsor (only employers and licencing bodies can request a DBS check), there is quite a lot of paperwork to fill in and it takes several weeks (up to eight) to come through.  The employer has to request the form, give it to the applicant who has to return it to the employer who submits it to the DBS.  The certificate is then sent straight to the applicant. 
  • The other route (Route Two) is far simpler.  You contact a company called Disclosure Scotland who cover the whole of the UK (and still do!).  They have a simple website, you upload a few key documents, pay your money and the clearance comes through in a matter of days (although it may be prudent to allow a little leeway, espeicially if you have a more colourful past).  This service is more for people who work infrequently with children.  

There are different levels of checks (standard, enhanced and enhanced iwth list checks) and costs range from between £26 – £44​.  There does not appear to be any time limit on the certificate once issued – it is up to the employer to decide whether/ how frequently the checks need to be renewed.

Surprisingly, the MRS code does not require DBS if working infrequently with young people, but they do issue guidance for research with children and young people.