ICG member Felicia Schwartz talks at a Cultural Insight Forum.
Key points from the talk are:
- How the Hong Kong protests are not just about politics but about identity
- The reactions and mostly non-reactions of brands to the protest movement
- The emergence of a new visual language out of the protest movement; Lennon walls, posters, animé
- “Kongish”, the language of the protesters
- “Be like water” – the trending meme that captures the spontaneous, democratic and crowd-sourced nature of the protest movement
- The empire strikes back ; the Chinese answer to HK protests also uses popular culture to express a polar opposite view.